Donnbrook Parish Family Mass
Donnybrook Parish has a special Mass each Sunday for children and families. We want to make it as welcoming and accessible as possible for all children and parents.
It is at 10.30am every Sunday morning during the school term.
Special features of the 10.30am Family Mass:
- Children’s choir with child-friendly selection of hymns (The choir is only being re-started now in May 2022 after the long interruption of Covid. One of the best ways to help a child engage is for them to be actively singing as part of the choir. Children can join at any time by speaking to the choir director Tabitha at any Family Mass or by contacting any member of the Family Mass team – see contact details below)
- Children do the readings and lead the Creed and Prayer of the Faithful
- Language of readings tailored for children
- Homily is specially prepared to be understandable for younger children (to be re-introduced when Children’s Choir is fully back in operation)
- Children altar servers and children bringing up the offertory gifts
- Colouring sheets and pencils for younger children and good selection of books and children’s bibles (in the side altar beside the Children’s Choir)
- Child-centred elements during the year, such as blessing of school bags at start of the school year, SVDP toy collection at Christmas, May procession.
- Run by families for families – to help our children develop a meaningful relationship with God and to live a life of helping others (see details of the Family Mass team below).
- A special monthly Do This in Memory Mass connects Parish with on-going First Communion Preparation in local schools
- Mass normally concludes no later than 11.15am (A Do This in Memory Mass can sometimes take longer.)
- Sacrament of Confession available on request after Mass
- Opportunity for families and children to meet each other (there will be refreshments after Family Mass in new Parish Centre when it opens later this year)
- Any new ideas / suggestions / initiatives / volunteers always welcome.
The Family Mass Team
The Family Mass is organised by ordinary parents volunteering and working together to promote a welcoming and happy environment that will help all children in the Parish to develop a meaningful and life-enhancing relationship with God and grow in a spirit of service to their neighbour.
The ordinary term for a volunteer member of the Family Mass Team is 2 years – but people are welcome to volunteer for shorter or longer periods. You can get in touch with any member of the Team through the Parish Secretary or at the 10.30am Family Mass or by emailing Paul through the Parish Secretary.